RSS is an abbreviation used for “Really Simple Syndication”. RSS feeds enclose content of blog posts, news, audio, video in various formats that readers have subscription access to. RSS feed is a great way to stay away from the need for backlink creation. It improves visibility to the search engines while reaching out to a new targeted audience. It is an excellent way to maximize Search Engine Optimization (SEO) as well. Below are some of the key benefits of using RSS feeds:
RSS Feed Benefits
1. They are kind of search engines + content discovering systems.
Once you publish a new post on your blog, post link is instantly included in the RSS feeds which help search engines to find those new links instantly.
2. Search Engine ranks RSS directory sites higher than others.
RSS directory websites and their links rank high in search engines. Once new content is displayed on such RSS sites, search engines will include these posts in their crawling database.
3. RSS Directory Sites have a great chance to get included by Content Syndication Engines
RSS directory sites are crawled by content syndication engines and because of that, you have a great chance that your blog will get included by those engines in their crawling database.
4. The user base for RSS directory websites is large.
RSS directory website members are subscribers of different other blogs as well, so if you use RSS for your blog, you have a great chance that your website will get some quality subscribers for free.
Many of the RSS directory websites are PR6 and PR5 rank websites. Once you create RSS feed for your website or blog and submit it to RSS directory sites, you will qualify a good number of quality backlinks.
Content writers also look for RSS feeds for content reference. You have a very good chance that the content writer will include the URL of your website while taking content reference.
Creating & Configuring RSS Feed
1. How to Create RSS feed?
If you are a WordPress user and you have a WordPress based website, it has an inbuilt XML feed. You can access it by typing the URL of your website then forward slash feed (/feed). It looks likes this:
Alternatively, you can use Google’s FeedBurner as well. FeedBurner is a free service by Google that is loaded with options that you do not get with the default WordPress feed.
Here are some of the features of Feedburner:
- You get statistics about your RSS Subscribers so you can analyse and optimise your blog posts.
- Your user gets multiple options to subscribe such as Email, and other feed-readers (Netvibes, Google etc).
- Subscriber Count.
- Monetize your RSS feeds by integrating Google Adsense to it.
- Customization features for your feeds such as modify post headings, branding and more.
- You have the option to ping your published post with various feed-reading services.
2. Setup Feedburner RSS feed
- First, you will require a Google account.
- Now visit the Feedburner page (feedburner.google.com) to begin this process.
- Now, you need to enter the link to your WordPress Blog Feed. Your feed link should be like yourdomain.com/feed/
- Once you enter the link to your WordPress Blog feed click next and enter feed title and feed address and click next. Now you do not need to follow any other step as you feed is created now.
- Once you are done with feed creation, you need to optimise your feed to make it browser friendly. So navigate to Optimize tab and make sure you have browser friendly option activated. Also make sure that services like SmartFeed, FeedFlare are activated as well.
- Now, under Publicize tab, make sure that PingShot and Awareness API are activated. Moreover, you need to allow email subscription on your website because there are users who prefer to get email updates rather than using Google Reader.
Once you are done with all these steps, integrate it into your website and also submit your RSS feed to RSS feed directories.
Here are the list of top 10 RSS directories:
- Blog Digger, Google PR: 6
- Feedage, Google PR: 6
- Plazoo, Google PR: 6
- Boing Boing, Google PR: 6
- Feed For All, Google PR: 6
- twingly.com/ping, Google PR: 6
- rssmicro.com, Google PR: 6
- Media Post, Google PR: 6
- Rapid Feeds, Google PR: 6
If your blog still does not have Feedburner RSS feed then get it right now to improve Search Engine Optimization, get backlinks and improve search engine visibility.
Hope you will find this post useful. If you know more such RSS feed directory website with high Google Page Rank, let us know.